Hydroacoustics User Forum

A forum for the global hydroacoustics community brought to you by the Echoview team

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:55 am

WASSP (by ENL) use for fishery research and Echoview 

Post WASSP (by ENL) use for fishery research and Echoview
Greeting Hydroacoustic Users,
We purchased a WASSP fishery multibeam sonar (http://www.wassp.com*) last season for a research project in coral reef fish aggregations. We were quite impressed with the user interface and the real-time imaging of both topography and fish targets in a variety of visual formats. Our next goal is to bring the raw data from the WASSP into a common visualization and analysis framework as our Simrad/other splitbeam sonar data - similar to the multibeam modules in Echoview*. We'd be curious to know of other WASSP users in this forum, and other needs for analytical or visualization methods for handling WASSP data. Happy to share our experience and sample images from our system.

Cheers,
Chris Taylor

* Mention of brand or manufacturers does not imply endorsement of products by the US government.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:04 am

Post Re: WASSP (by ENL) use for fishery research and Echoview
Hi Chris,

Hope all is well! I just recently saw a presentation about these units by the WASSP and Furuno folks visiting FWC in St. Pete. I was curious if you all purchased the fisheries grade or survey grade model? Also I'd be very keen to see some of the images and hear a about the ease/difficulty of use.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Eddie Hughes

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:22 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: WASSP (by ENL) use for fishery research and Echoview
Good to hear from you, Eddie (and greetings, Hydroacoustics Users),
We did purchase and have been using the fisheries version of the WASSP for about a year. We are very happy with the system. . . the WASSP 160-F software and Navigator are very user-friendly and nearly turn-key on first installation. ENL describes the Survey version as a significant improvement over their legacy system for a specific market, bathymetric/hydrographic surveys. I have asked for a comparison of how the Survey version compares to the Fisheries version in terms of watercolumn data for fish school (or other midwater objects), which was our primary reason for purchasing the system in the first place - so far, still waiting for a response.
If I can figure out the PM on this forum, I will send you some images or videos.
-Chris

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 am